Dear Students and Parents,
We are monitoring the coronavirus news closely, and want to keep all of our students and families informed.
Here are the current recommendations for reducing the risk of transmission and some of the plans we have in place at ATA:
1. Wash hands diligently. Make it fun! Wet your hands, apply soap, and recite both parts of the student oath (which takes about 20 seconds) before rinsing. ATA Tigers should recite the Tiger oath twice.
2. Don’t touch. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. If it’s unavoidable then wash your hands before and after doing so.
3. Practice good respiratory hygiene. Cough and sneeze into your sleeve, not into your hands.
4. Avoid shaking hands. For now, we find alternatives to shaking hands in class. Fortunately, we have another way to show respect for our partners and instructors: the traditional bow.
5. We love positive praise and reinforcement at ATA, but as sad as this makes us, we will also try to be limiting high fives. Paper high five awards will still be awarded.
6. If you are feeling feverish, please stay home and heal. We will be happy to provide private instruction to get you caught up when you return to ATA. If a family member is sick, please refrain them from coming into the school. We can make arrangements to walk your child in and out of class if need be.
7. We have alcohol-based, hand sanitizer, recommended by the U.S. Center For Disease Control (CDC) at the front. We highly encourage students and parents to use the sanitizer when they enter and leave our school.
8. PLEASE BRING DISINFECTANT WIPES/SPRAY & TOWEL TO USE ON YOUR GEAR BEFORE/AFTER EACH CLASS. If you cannot find disinfectant in the stores, we would be happy to share ours. Just bring your own towel. We will continue to be wiping door handles, training targets, and cleaning our mats and areas of high volume of traffic and activity more frequently than normal.
In closing, the local public schools are taking their guidance from the state health department. We will continue to monitor what our schools/daycares are doing. We do have contingency plans in place in the event of a state of emergency. We are working to temporarily include live video instruction (by Zoom, Skype or a similar platform) in the near future if need be.
On a positive note, you may see some of our college-aged instructors back on the mat due to the colleges teaching remotely. We are excited to have them back home and at ATA Bear.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Master Stewart and the ATA Bear staff and instructors